Burn off extra steam with a giant collection of physical activities toddlers with LOTS of energy really love!
Physical activities toddlers love to do are amazing for those that have lots of energy.
And let’s face it. What toddler doesn’t?
I know mine all did at that age, and I’m chasing Louis all over the place at the moment! It gets insane at times!
Who has said any of the following?
My toddler has too much energy.
My toddler won’t sit still.
My toddler won’t draw or color.
I’ve probably said all of that before with my three, very energetic, boys.
Or… the one I probably say the most: If only I could bottle up some of that energy for myself!
Giant Collection of Physical Activities Toddlers Simply Love!
I do like to embrace that energy with physical activities for toddlers. It’s my way of harnessing their energy and refocusing it into good physical play so it doesn’t get out of hand.
Toddlers just learned to walk and run. They want and need to practice!
Why should I stop that? I want to help them practice in every way possible!
The secret is that you’re tapping into gross motor exercises – moving big muscle groups that equals burning tons of toddler energy.
I don’t know if I’d be as aware of gross motor skills and play if I hadn’t been in this early childhood space for so long.
I know what they are now because I’ve been in this world of educators while I’ve been blogging about our activities. but before that, I wonder if I’d know.
Do you know what I mean when I say gross motor?
Gross motor activities are physical activities for kids to move in a big way. They use their big muscles.
When they run, jump, twirl, skip, hop, climb, that’s all gross motor. They’re very physical activities.
So that’s what this list is — a list of physical activities toddlers wil love, moving in big ways:
And so much more!
Since toddlers have just learning to move in general, these are the beginning stages for them. A jumping game that requires a toddler to actually get off the ground is probably off-limits, as most toddlers will probably only make it to their tippy toes!Get the Gross Motor Go-To List here
21 Easy Physical Activities to Burn Toddler Energy!
- Walk on pillows.
- Make a road in the house.
- Roll and paint together.
- Make a simple balance beam to walk along.
- It’s a balancing act, different from the balance beam. – I Can Teach My Child
- Go dumpster diving.
- Fabric scraps. Tissue paper scraps. Wrapping paper scraps. They’ll love it all. It usually leads to running around with them.
- Save bubble wrap. Make a road to pop.
- Roll down hills.
- Do a simple scavenger hunt.
- Or head outside for a fun nature scavenger hunt they can do.
- Play newspaper basketball.
- Try these three games for toddlers to throw a ball. – Moms Have Questions Too
- Play balloon badminton.
- Stomp and catch! – I Can Teach My Child
- Set up a fun obstacle course, great for a playdate with friends. – Learn Play Imagine
- A simpler obstacle course inside for toddlers. – Confidence Meets Parenting
- Simplify older kid games for toddlers, like hopscotch. – Tutus and Tea Parties
- Instead of tripping over all the stuffed animals, make a stuffed animal relay instead. – The Spruce
- Do big art – painting a large surface with water or paint!
- Grab all of our favorite activities for toddlers with the MOVE e-book!
As you can see, these physical activities are simple for toddlers to do! They’re not all that difficult to set up and get toddlers moving when they have lots of energy to burn.
While these are not just physical activities for toddlers, these 50 toddler activities are great to keep them busy too!
These affiliate links are products that are sure to get your kids moving!