Winter is coming and these fun things to do in the snow will come in handy for playing outside! Which snowy activities will you try first?
Whether we like it or not, snow will eventually fall. At least for us up north… we’re in Iowa, so its bound to happen.
It always seems hard to get outside in the cold with young kids. This year it’s really challenging with our newborn, but the older boys still will want to get out there and play in the snow!
Since the sandbox will be covered… what can the kids do outside?
I’ve made a list 10 fun outdoor snow activities that I want to do with the kids this winter. Our winter/snow bucket list, I guess.
Get dressed warm and get outside to play in the snow!
10 Fun Things to do in the Snow – Outside!
- Go sledding! Get a sled, make a sled out of cardboard, and just go!
- Build a snowman. Roll some balls, big or small. Build a snowman together. Find rocks for eyes, twigs for arms, and wrap him up warm with a hat and scarf!
- Have a snowball fight! Show the kids how to make a snowball. Play a snow ball target practice game. Set up something to throw at and let the kids get some practice in throwing!
- Build a snow fort. Pack the walls together to build a safe place for hiding out! We found a brick mold builder on Amazon that the boys use to play in the sandbox and for snow!
- While you’re out shoveling the driveway or sidewalk, let the kids help! Or have them make their own paths… maybe a snow maze!
- Stomp through the snow and make footprints!
- Instead of making your own footprints, look for animal prints! Can you find rabbit prints? Squirrels? Deer? Discover what’s in your backyard! Not sure? Take pictures of the animal tracks and look them up together later.
- Get creative outside playing in the cold snow! Paint the snow! Make it colorful!
- After a fresh snowfall, go lay out in it and make some snow angels together. Play along and make a whole snow angel family!
- And, this one will surely be a hit with my boys: Load. Dump. Scoop. Pour. Do it in the snow!
When you’re getting outside in the cold weather, be sure to dress warm and take precautions!
And be prepared to warm them up when you get inside!
Have a cup of hot chocolate waiting for them with little marshmallows on top!