Let’s celebrate summer with some fun activities to get wet, play outside and get crafty for preschoolers! We pulled together an awesome list of fun and simple summer activities for kids that you can do right at home.
Memorial Day is passed here in the United States, and that usually marks the beginning of summer.
Make this Summer Much More Fun! (and easier too) with CAMP MOM. Grab it here.
Here are several summer water activities for preschoolers, outdoor play activities for preschoolers to do this summer, as well as summer crafts for preschoolers.
Summer Water Activities for Preschoolers
Let’s take these water activities outside and get wet this summer! Water is one thing that all kids love to splash around, play and get creative with. The possibilities are endless, give these a try!
- Add some soap to the water and make giant bubbles like Make and Takes did. Getting inside the bubbles looks like the kind of summer activity preschoolers would have fun with!
- Race I Heart Nap Time’s soap boats with gutters and water. The kids can design their own sails for the boats before starting the race!
- Take a cue from Happy Hooligans and put together a do-it-yourself waterslide. The fact that it’s cheap and easy makes it even better.
- Make your own pool noodle water wall. Teaching Mama shares how to make one with just three materials.
- Hang up (and burst!) the water balloon pinatas from Meaningful Mama’s water obstacle course. A fun activity for preschoolers to play and cool down in the summer heat.
- Set up water cup races! This game for All for the Boys would work well with any kind of water blasters you have on hand.
- Why not try your hand at water balloon target practice? Tinkerlab shares how to set up this simple, engaging summer activity for kids.
- Mess for Less’ water balloon hunt seems like a great cross between a scavenger hunt and a water balloon fight. I can just see my preschoolers having a blast with this summer activity!
- Water Blob Twister sounds like an amazingly cool game to try this summer. Paging Fun Mums shares all the details.
Outdoor Summer Activities for Preschoolers
Water is not the end of outdoor fun this summer! There’s plenty to do in the backyard. So grab your sidewalk chalk, or go on a hunt and find some nature! Your preschoolers are going to have a blast with these summer activities.
- Set up Learn Play Imagine’s pool noodle games for an afternoon. The ball toss and hurdles are sure to keep the kids laughing and playing the day away.
- Grab the chalk and set up a squiggly line tracing activity. The kids always enjoy this summer activity, especially when paired with water.
- Bring along some paint samples for a color matching walk this summer. Fantastic Fun and Learning went looking for various plants and flowers in their neighborhood, but the backyard would work just as well!
- Mix up some bubble solution and try making rainbow bubble snakes. Housing a Forest made them using items from around the house.
- Make outdoor activity rocks to use as backyard challenges. KC Edventures has some fun activity ideas to use them throughout the summer with your preschoolers.
- Go on a nature scavenger hunt. The kids can collect anything that catches their fancy, or they can put together a list ahead of time.
- Drive toy cars and trucks through a chalk-painted maze. Lots of problem-solving activity fun for a summer day with preschoolers.
- Go bowling with coconuts! Fun-A-Day shares this super simple game using a unique bowling ball.
- Reading Confetti’s frozen chalk lends itself to so much art and science on a hot day. The kids can help create the chalk and then set it to good use on the sidewalk.
- Play a homemade game of tic-tac-toe outside. Chicken Scratch NY used a tree stump and painted rocks. Kids can customize their game pieces for this summer activity.
Get Crafty with Preschoolers this Summer
For some reason, summer just begs to be creative and crafty! Make this summer one you won’t forget by creating these adorable summer crafts during activity time with your preschoolers!
- Collect some pine cones and create a firefly. Fireflies and Mud Pies’ craft would be fun after an evening catching the real thing.
- Get painting with Happy Hooligans’s paper plate watermelon craft. Real watermelon seeds could be used in place of the beans.
- Make No Time for Flash Cards’ toilet paper roll fish. This would be a fun summer activity to do with your preschoolers right before a trip to the beach.
- Change up some old flip flops as part of JDaniel4’s fish-flop painting activity. Run along a big piece of paper to keep, or try some washable paints on the sidewalk.
- A Little Pinch of Perfect’s ocean animal sun catcher would look so nice in the kitchen windows. Kids can pick their favorite ocean animal for the center in this summer activity.
- Paint egg carton turtles like Emma Owl. A few materials are all you need to get this going.
- Make Buggy and Buddy’s octopus craft with colored pasta. Add some string and turn it into a tentacled wind catcher for the porch.
- Make and decorate kites for flying on breezy summer days for some gross motor activity fun with preschoolers, and big kids too. Better Homes and Gardens details how to put everything together with paper, string, and sticks.
- After a walk around the neighborhood, create Happy Hooligans’ nature faces! They could be self portraits or just free art using natural materials.
- Still Playing School’s sunny sun catcher would look beautiful in the window. She shares a great tip for making these melted bead crafts.
What are some of your favorite things to do with your kids in the summer?
Share some of your summer activity ideas for preschoolers with us in the comments.