Back to school art projects don’t have to be done in the classroom! They can be done at home to get the kids excited about school too!
What do you think of when it comes to “back to school”?
I absolutely love art. I was an art major, studying graphic design.
However, I’m not an artist.
I know, that seems contradictory.
But I don’t live and breathe art, and I don’t actually know much about the history of art. I just truly enjoy creating things, especially with my kids.
I know art is a big deal when it comes to education.
Could I tell you the whys?
Not really. I just know it’s important.
To read more about why art in education is important, I shared a few points below that I think are important and explain it fairly well.
- Art increases test scores across every subject area
- Art lowers dropout rates
- Art increases attendance
- Art drives motivation
- Art creates a deeper understanding of diversity, culture, and history
So, I’m spreading the word and sharing some fun back to school art projects that kids can do, whether they’re at home or in the classroom!
20 Back to School Art Projects to Get the Kids Excited for School and the Arts!
When back to school comes to mind, I think introductions and getting to know each other.
And of course, self-portraits to show everyone what you are all about.
And then I think apples.
An apple for the teacher.
Or is it that fall is just around the corner and the apples are ripening?
Either way, apples come to mind when I think of back to school.
Name Art Projects for Back to School:
When a child starts each school year, there are probably some new kids’ names to learn. And they’re probably telling their names to the other kids too.
Even in a small school like ours, Henry is still meeting new kids in his class each year.
I don’t think anyone really likes to make introductions, so what better way than to say it with art?
Show off their personality a little bit and share their name!
And at home, it’s more about them becoming confident in themselves.
- Make your name in salt and glue. Gorgeous watercolor art from Happy Hooligans. The reaction that watercolors have on salt is amazing to watch!
- Their name magically appears! Toddler Approved writes their name as a secret message for the kids. We’ve done this with letters to learn the ABCs as well as sight words.
- A mosaic name. Rainbows Within Reach adds fine motor practice to a name art project!
- Matisse inspired names! This name art project from A Glimmer of Light is incredibly fun, abstract and shows off their personality all while learning about a famous artist!
- Write it in tape. Do a tape resist art project with their initials or names.
- Name bugs! Or monsters, aliens or whatever! What will your child’s name make? See what I mean at No Time for Flash Cards!
- Use letters to paint their name. This is a great way for younger kids, preschoolers and even toddlers to learn the letters and order of their name, but also just plain fun for ones that already know it. No Time for Flashcards used letter cookie cutters, letter magnets would also work!
Self Portraits Art Projects for Back to School:
Along with learning their names, the first week back to school always seems about getting to know each other and having the children share about themselves to the class.
It’s fun to bring this home to get to know each other too!
I always love the little homework assignments to tell the class about my kids. It always helps me really get to know them again, and better.
So I thought it would be fun to take it a step further and do these back to school art projects at home and do some self-portraits (I think I’ll even do them myself)!
- Portrait silhouettes! This is a classic that I remember from my childhood. This one is from “whatever…”
- Half photo, half self-portrait. I love this twist on a self-portrait from Art Is A Way to have the child finish a photo of himself.
- Full body tracing from The Artful Parent.
- Take the body tracing a step further and make it just for the first day of school to get them excited!
- Colorful tissue paper art on self-portraits! This is such a gorgeous way for kids to express themselves! From Simply Art Lessons.
- Draw yourself from scratch. Another one from picklebums.
- A paper collage self-portrait found at Mrs. Lee’s Kindergarten in her All About Me lesson plan. This would also be great for learning shapes!
Apple Art Projects for Back to School Season:
School and teachers make me think apples. It just does.
To gear up and get excited about back to school, do some of these fun apple art projects!
- We just recently decorated lunch sacks with apple prints!
- Or make an apple tree collage!
- I love these apple suncatchers from Mom to 2 Posh Li’l Divas.
- Or roll apples to make art from Preschool Daze! You know I love big art!
- These newspaper apples are so fun and pretty from Frog Spot!
- Paint an apple tree with wine corks! Love this from Plain Vanilla Mom. Of course, I already have a stash of wine corks, but it may give me a reason to enjoy a bottle over the weekend!
As part of the weekly activities planner, I also recently shared a fun week of back to school activities to do! For the whole week!