Looking for some exciting things to do in the garden with kids? Here’s a collection of super simple garden activities for kids to get you started. Have fun!
We have always wanted a garden. We have an enormous backyard.
But we also have deer like crazy, so I always nix the idea.
I’m not about to put that much effort into growing a garden only for the deer to eat it.
But right now, things are changing because we are building a garage. And with that, will come a better space for a garden, closer to the house, more protected from animals.
I can’t wait to start a garden with the kids.
Because of the garage project, we have an enormous dirt pile in our backyard right now.
So to say things are messy, is kind of an understatement.
We are constantly dragging dirt in the house, day after day. Much like it will be after working in the garden with the kids.
But we love messy play and I want them to get dirty and enjoy their childhood.
Gardening is not going to be different when the garage is built.
I am so excited to have a garden, I’m brainstorming things the kids can help with to make it their own garden.
There’s so much learning going on with gardening!
We have also put together 10 Tips to Keep Messy Play Clean
Prepping the Garden Activities with Kids
- How to plant and start seeds with kids. From Buggy & Buddy
- Section off a part of the garden, for the kids to have a garden of their own. From Keep It Simple Sister
- Get kids involved in the planting and measuring distances of how far apart plants need to be. From The Educators’ Spin On It
- Make plant markers and spell the plant names with beads. From Meaningful Mama
- Make rock plant markers. From Rainy Day Mum
Take Care of the Garden Activities with the Kids
- Get kids involved in composting. From Kid World Citizen
- Or learn about composting on a smaller scale. From How Wee Learn
- Make their very own watering can to water the plants with. From Mess for Less
- Why not add some living creatures to your compost with our Composting Bin with Worms
- Kids love to help weed! From Capri + 3
Have fun in the Garden Activities with the kids
- Go on a garden scavenger hunt! From Go Explore Nature
- Paint with nature’s paintbrushes. From Learning 4 Kids
- Make garden soup. From Happy Hooligans
- Try our easy Toddler Scavenger Hunt in your garden and yard
- Have some math fun with Easy Counting with Flower Pedals
- Get messy doing some sensory Nature Painting
- Make some Upcycled Wind Chimes with items from the garden
- Or create a Frozen Time Capsule to capture the garden memories
- Of course, eat what you grow!
For more fun activities using real flowers take a peak at Real Flower Crafts & Activities for Kids
Just remember that the dirt from the garden can be cleaned up. Stains will be fond memories.