Have fun moving and learning all the tools a preschooler will need. From letter sounds to science projects.
Preschoolers are learning a lot every day. Especially when they are in school.
When they’re home, they are too, of course. We have the most fun learning and reinforcing what they learned in school when we do activities that require movement. Hence, the move and learn. Plus its an added bonus for me, because, well, they have a lot of energy they need to burn.
These learning areas are geared toward preschoolers, but don’t let that deter you from trying it with a toddler, because I just bet they might be able to do it too, especially if you twist it up a bit for their learning development.
Today we’re just kicking off with a lot of fun move and learn activities. I’m sharing preschooler activities, while The Pleasantest Thing has move and learn activities for toddlers, and Coffee Cups and Crayons is sharing move and learn activities for kindergartners.
Here we go! Let’s move and learn our way through preschooler with these gross motor learning activities for preschoolers.
Practice writing skills.
- Trace lines on the driveway to practice writing in a big way.
- Set up a cave and have them draw on the ‘walls’. – The Pleasnatest Thing
- Walk along letters in tape the way they’d write them to learn the movements. – Words of His Heart
- Write with ice on a warm day outside on anything, cardboard, sidewalk, fence, whatever you can find! – Cultivated Lines
Learn to spell their name!
- Spell out their name along strings strung around the room!
- Play name basketball. Spell their name with balls! – Toddler Approved
- Lots of name activities, not all moving, but lots of fun! 35 Name Activities for Preschoolers.
Begin small! Learn lowercase letters.
- Set up a lowercase scavenger hunt maze to find their way through and match up the letters with the uppercase ones.
- Match lowercase and uppercase letters on the sidewalk with lines.
- Go on a letter scavenger hunt and match the found letters with their lowercase counterparts.
Let’s learn letter sounds!
- Play alphabet ball! It can be tailored to whatever you’re learning, but The Pleasantest Thing guest posted here with a fun way to throw a ball and learn letter sounds.
- Go on a hunt around the yard for beginning letter sounds and have a toy wash.
- Write out words on the sidewalk and walk along them sounding them out, focusing on the letter sounds. – Coffee Cups & Crayons
- Even more ways to learn letters, letter sounds and lowercase letters, not all gross motor activities, but all fun learning the alphabet! 50 Incredible Alphabet Activities for Preschoolers.
Count all the way to 20.
- Make a scavenger hunt to match up found numbers to the ‘dice’ number.
- Make a grid of numbers to count and find their way through to 20.
- Tape a maze on the floor and number it to 20, have them count their way through.
- More counting and number activities for preschoolers. Not all moving and learning, but definitely learning! 40 Number Activities for Preschoolers.
Expand and practice color and shape recognition.
- Hop from shape to shape. Tape out various shapes on the floor. – 1+1+1=1
- Make a hopscotch with shapes! – Creative Family Fun
- Play rainbow games. Rainbow, May I? or have Rainbow Races! – Coffee Cups and Crayons
- Go on a scavenger hunt for the colors of the rainbow.
What’s that? Body Parts.
- Make body part cards and have preschoolers touch the part they see. – The Pleasantest Thing
- Pop bubbles with a body part! – Motherhood on a Dime
- Dance with a body part. – Strings, Keys and Melodies
Experiment, predict, observe. Science projects.
- Test out air resistance, gravity and even weight with objects from nature. – The Pleasantest Thing
- What’s heaviest? – Science Sparks
- Paint and make chemical reactions with baking soda and vinegar.
Don’t forget to get creative! Big Art!
- Draw full self-portraits.
- Kick and paint. Gather balls and other objects to kick across the paper full of paint.
- Run out in the rain to paint in the rain! – The Pleasantest Thing
- Plenty more creative ideas in the Big, Big Art Collection. There’s 40 ideas!
Listen and follow directions.
- Play “Teacher Says”. – Coffee Cups & Crayons
- Build a block tower by listening to the directions given.
- Follow directions with a grid game. – Kids Activities Blog
Advanced preschooler activities:
- Do a bean bag toss for beginning sight words.
- Skip Counting from Learn Play Imagine
- See Coffee Cups & Crayon’s Move & Learn Activities for Kindergartners
What’s your favorite way to move & learn for preschoolers?
5 weekly plans of activities for each one year olds, two year olds, and preschoolers (plus a learning one too!)
The LEARN eBook of 5 weekly plans of learning activitiesis perfect for the preschooler age. Fun ways for preschoolers to learn the alphabet, numbers, colors, shapes and have fun as a family! Each weekly plan includes a handy supply list and activities broken down to know exactly what to do in a simple sentence or two.
7-Day Activity Challenge to Do with Your Preschooler
Say YES! I will do activities with my preschooler this week.
Enter your email here to get access to the 7-day challenge of activities for your preschooler. You'll get 7 days of activities that are perfect to do with your preschooler and will spark your creativity and fun! You can unsubscribe at any time.
- More information.
$36 ADD TO CART