This week is back to school for Henry, and next week George starts preschool. Back to school is definitely in full swing!
How do you make an easy transition to get back into the school routine? I always think its fun to get the kids a little excited! Of course, with back to school shopping for supplies and clothes.
But what else?
Any special traditions that you do with the kids?
These may be some ideas for new traditions, or just some fun for the week leading up to school! This is a sample of back to school activities I use in the kids activities planner for the week.
Don’t have the kids activities planner? Get it here free and use it week after week.
In each week for the activities planners, I try to include:
- a gross motor activity
- a fine motor activity
- a craft
- an art project
- an outdoor activity
- an experiment or something to get them thinking
- a family activity for Sunday
Though with holidays and special events like back to school, its sometimes hard to fit an activity into every one of those areas.
Monday: First Day of School Self-Portraits
- roll of art paper or butcher paper
- Markers, crayons, or anything to draw with
Tuesday: Countdown to School with Books
- A book for each day until school starts, from the library
- Paper (wrapping paper, art paper, newspaper…)
Wednesday: Morning Routine with Put Ups
Thursday: Kick off the year with a About Me interview
- About Me printable – download ours here
- Pencil and paper
- Video Camera (optional)
Friday: Explore apples and create an apple tree
- Scrap pieces of paper in green, red and brown
- Glue or glue sticks
- Glitter (optional)
Saturday: Make a gift for the new teacher
Some to try:
- Several jars, containers, glasses, cups, that are clear
- Pantry items (spices, oatmeal, etc), or could take it outside and do items from nature too