Make your next road trip more enjoyable with 27 awesome busy bag ideas. Your kids will love you, and you might actually get to relax!
Summer is upon us and that usually means family trips and vacations. Whether it’s a short weekend trip or a long road trip or even an airplane ride, the kids often need to have some entertainment.
They can only nap so much!
While I have lots of ideas for things to do with kids in the car while traveling, I thought it might be handier to share some specific busy bag ideas for road trips.
Maybe Mom (and Dad) will get some reading time or shut-eye before reaching their destination!
Hey, we can dream, right?
27 Road Trip Busy Bag Ideas
First of all, what do I consider a “busy bag?”
A busy bag to me is something that can be contained and stored away but brought out to play with and put back (reusable). It doesn’t necessarily have to be a “bag.”
Secondly, what makes these best for road trips?
These busy bag ideas are great for road trips because they don’t have a million little pieces that the kids are going to constantly be dropping and not being able to continue on with their play until you have a chance to find the lost piece.
Homemade Busy Books are Great Busy Bag Ideas
- My Busy Book from Powerful Mothering
- Homemade Chalkboard Book from Kaley Ann
- Family Photo Album from Making Manzanita
- A Guide to Make Your Own Busy Book from And Next Comes L
Travel Versions of Classic Games as Busy Bag Ideas
- Felt Tic Tac Toe from Childhood 101
- Lego Tic Tac Toe from Mama Papa Bubba
- On the go chalkboard box from Dukes and Duchesses
- Homemade Checkers in a Tin from A Girl and a Glue Gun
See the most beloved board games here.
Learning Busy Bag Ideas for Road Trips
- Writing Practice Busy Bag from The Educators’ Spin On It
- Rainbow Color Sorting Busy Bag from Learning & Exploring Through Play
- Geography License Plate Game from Makeovers & Motherhood
- Magnetic Pom Poms & Letters in a Baking Pan from The Grassy Noall
- Duplo Patterns from My Small Potatoes
- Geo Board To Go from Hands On As We Grow
Want more learning ideas for toddlers? Find them here.
Artsy Busy Bag Ideas for Road Trips
- DIY Whiteboard Busy Bag from The OT Toolbox
- Talk-a-long Drawing Kit from Sunny Day Family
- Crayon Roll from The Pleated Poppy
I Spy & Sensory Busy Bag Ideas
- Sensory Bags for Babies & Toddlers from Messy Little Monster
- I Spy Peekaboo Game from Childhood 101
- I Spy Jars from Makeovers & Motherhood
- Feed the Shark Sensory Bag from Kids Activities Blog
Sensory galore! Find a gob of sensory ideas.
So Much More Busy Bag Fun!
- Finger Puppets! Tell a Story from Easy Peasy & Fun
- Velcro Dot Craft Sticks from Powerful Mothering
- Hair Bands to Calm Busy Fingers from Lemon Lime Adventures
- Travel Felt Board from Mama Smiles
- Foam Lacing Shapes from Powerful Mothering
- Build a Paper Clip Chain from Hands On As We Grow
There ya go!
You’ll be set to have so much fun on road trips from now on, you’ll be begging to go and you’ll never hear the dreaded “Are we there yet?”
We can hope right?!?!
Before you head off, you may want to take a look at this amazing list of Sanity Saving Tips for a Long Road Trip from Lemon Lime Adventures.