A Big Chalk Maze for Preschoolers

Share:

After checking out a life-size maze, we had to make a big chalk maze to drive through at home!

Its easier to make than you might think too!

Any kind of sidewalk chalk activity makes it fun for the kids, and usually gets them moving [which I love].

A big chalk maze to make for preschoolers

A month or so ago, we headed to our local maize maze and tackled it with the whole family.

If your kid loves mazes, check out these 10 mazes for preschoolers!

preschooler maze

Since then I’ve been wanting to try a maze at home with Henry as well.

I painted a maze onto our driveway using the sidewalk chalk paint recipe.

This time, I left out the baking soda [no need for the fizz], and swapped flour for the cornstarch since I didn’t have any on hand.

The sidewalk paint recipe ended up being:

• Flour
  • Water [It doesn't take much, but make it thinner than you think you'll want it, it thickens up]
  • Washable paint or food coloring for color

[My husband even happened to catch me painting it on camera.]

me-and-maze

I first made the maze half the size and let Henry try it out.

He made it through entirely too easy, so I doubled the size and had him try the maze again.

big-maze-for-preschoolers

I thought about making it another maize maze with the corn we got from the farm, but thought it would be too hard to line up the kernels through the maze.

However, Henry still didn’t have much trouble driving through the maze.

drive-thru-maze

Only a few times he ran into a dead end and asked “But how do I get here?”

It only took some simple problem solving for him to answer his own question.

maze-for-preschoolers-chalk

The maze still hasn’t been washed off the driveway [it hasn't rained], so we may make it even bigger, or even try the kernels of corn.

What else can we do with our big maze?

Henry is 3 years old.

From our partners

Join over 16,000 parents and teachers receiving our activities and tips via email!

Comments

1. JoAnn Jordan says

As a child, we used to make mazes from chairs, blankets & toys as a child. I love the idea of the flour paint. Looks like Henry approves of the maze, too!

2. Stephani says

I was planning on doing the same thing this week with masking tape- so coincidental that you would share it! My struggle was coming up with one. Did you use a pattern?

3. maryanne @ mama smiles says

I love your sidewalk paint maze! My kids like to jump over the dead ends – not quite what I had in mind, but works for them…

4. Jackie H. says

That's so cool! I'm thinking doing big mazes like that will build up those muscles for fine motor control too!! I'm sure my 3 year old would love this.

5. simona says

Mazes have always been one of the most exciting things in my childhood. We built make-shift mazes, and we drew them. I also always like those rugs that have streets on them, kind of how your little one is using the maze with his big truck.
    All in all a lovely idea – and these are super cute pictures you and your husband took there!

6. Anonymous says

Just saw this on LLI Linky Party. So FUN! I have to get out & do this before it gets too cold =-) Thanks for sharing!

7. Kristina says

Saw this on LLI Linky Party! LOVE this idea! Might be too cold now, but maybe I'll try inside with painter's tape if I am ever so ambitous! : )

8. Kristie says

Great idea although I don't think I'm capable of making a maze quite as good as yours. I will be using that sidewalk chalk paint recipe next summer for sure!

9. Emma @sciencesparks says

That is a fantastic idea! Another great activity for me to try with my children.

Thank you so much for linking up to Fun Sparks.

Emma @sciencesparks

10. abbie says

That is awesome! I don't think I am talented enough to paint a maze that would really work! There would probably end up being no way out or something. But love this idea.
    Thanks for linking up to the Outdoor Play link up. I pinned the idea too to our "Outdoor Play Link Up Ideas" board.

11. emma @ frog, goose and bear says

My son would LOVE this!! He LOVES mazes! He loves chalk and outdoors too – perfect! Thanks for another great idea!

12. Mama Pea Pod says

Oh Jamie, what fun! I love that he drove his truck through it, that opens up all kinds of possibilities in my mind! hehe. Thanks so much for linking this up to the Outdoor Play Party!

13. kari says

I love the maze, thanks for reminding how much fun playing in a maze can be.

I hope you will join us for Every Day is a Play Share link up.

We know that we have many outdoor play champions as passionate as we are in the blogsphere and think it is great that you as a blogger are sharing your passion about getting kids outside. To make it a little more exciting than a normal link up, you will get the opportunity to win a prize for the best outdoor play post. $200 gift certificate from Polarn O. Pyret.
    Cheers Kari