Since it’s too cold still in Iowa to plant a tree for Arbor Day, we’re making tree art by painting a tree!
Also for Arbor Day, Murphy’s Oil Soap is sponsoring this post and doing a fun repinning contest on Pinterest! The details are below on how to enter and what you could win!
This tree art is so simple to do! Tape resist is the secret!
I found these beautiful Birch tree paintings on Wee Folk Art and decided we’d have to make them too! We added some embellishments too!
I set up this art activity first by getting the art paper out and taped it to the table. I actually spent some time getting the tape on squarely and evenly, so there would be a nice white border around the tree art when it was finished.
Henry helped do the taping. We tore pieces of painter’s tape into long strips to make the trunk and branches of the trees. Henry struggled with tearing a piece long enough to be a trunk, so I helped him with his tree trunks.
He only wanted two trees. And he was very proud of his placement of branches.
I taped George’s trees because he was still napping. I asked him to join in painting when he woke up, but he was in one of his moods [very much similar to his night terrors]… so I ended up making my own tree art with Henry! It was so enjoyable to paint with him!
You could use watercolors to paint, but I’m always using whatever we have on hand. And that’s water and food coloring. A few drops of blue food coloring with just a tad bit of water [maybe a tablespoon] worked perfectly. Then we painted over our taped trees to cover the entire paper.
After its painted, its time for the fun part of removing the tape! Henry didn’t want to wait for the paint to dry, but it peeled off fine.
Then you can add pencil marks across the tree trunks to make it look more like a Birch tree.
We glued on buttons to be leaves and add some fun color to it too! I love how they turned out!
And the border that I made with the tape makes it look so much more ‘official’ or professional, don’t you think?
For more tree activities, art and craft ideas, Fantastic Fun and Learning has 45 tree activities for kids!
In honor of Arbor Day this Friday, Murphy Oil Soap is doing a little Pinterest contest! Head over to their Repin. Reforest Pinterest Board and find the answer to this clue:
In Celtic cultures, this tree symbolizes growth, renewal, stability, initiation and adaptability.”
Once you find the answer to the clue, repin it! [Hint: just Google that phrase...]
Not only does repinning it make you eligible to enter into this contest for the Murphy Oil Soap Prize Pack, but for every repin Murphy Oil Soap is also donating $1 to The Arbor Day Foundation to help plant trees in forests across the U.S.!
Go ahead, pin more than one!
The Murphy Oil Soap Prize Pack includes: [valued approximately at $100]
- Murphy® Oil Soap cleaning solutions: Clean & Shine, Squirt & Mop, Original, and Clean & Dust.
- Western Red Cedar Small Square Planter: The Susquehanna Small Square Planter is quality constructed in the USA with rot-resistant Western Red Cedar harvested from sustainable forests. The planters tighten naturally when filled with dirt and water so no liner is needed.
- Scotch-Brite Greener Clean Natural Expanding Sponge: The Scotch-Brite® Greener Clean Natural Expanding Sponge’s condensed size means less packaging, which equals less waste and storage space before use. It expands when wet to easily wipe away messes. Plus, its reusable, long lasting and biodegradable.
- If You Care Household Gloves: If You Care Household Gloves are made from Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified latex. Furthermore, the rubber tappers, who cut the bark to get the raw material flowing, have received a fair trade premium, and it is their decision how to spend their extra income.
- Kona Wood Coasters: Made of thick, durable Acacia wood, these contemporary coasters have rich stained finishes and a high lip to keep drinks in place.
- DIY Wood Trays: Decorate these unfinished wood trays any way you choose for unique gifts. Use a stencil to trace a picture and paint a meaningful phrase or use your own hand drawn design…there’s no limit to what you can do!