I have to confess. The idea of making an obstacle course for kids always stops me in my tracks.
I mean, my kids love obstacle courses. They’re amazing gross motor activities. There’s really no going wrong with them.
But…. setting them up? Holy cow, they seem like a lot of work.
However, I’ve come to realize they really don’t have to be. It can be pretty simple, or you can make it more complicated if you’d like.
My mom even sets up an obstacle course for the kids every once in awhile. They live on the farm, so it usually consists of a hay bale or two and they’re always a blast!
And the boys make obstacle courses for each other in our hallway….
I am promising, right now, that this summer, I will make an obstacle course, outside, with all the works.
But until then, I’m sharing some ideas fro an obstacle course that we’ve done in the past that were a huge hit with the kids, as well as some ideas I’ve found for inspiration.
… and these obstacle courses are super simple to make. I promise!
Super Simple Ways to Make an Obstacle Course for Kids:
- Spy Training Obstacle Course for kids from One Creative Mommy. An agility course that includes stepping through rings (just throw out some rings!), crawling under a table, and a tightrope!
- We did a Learning Obstacle Course. Super simple, just stick sticky notes everywhere with letters (or numbers, math problems, etc) and make them answer then and then stomp on it! Put them in odd places, on tables chairs, and under them.
- Make an activity obstacle course for kids by designating small areas to do a quick task (like jump 3 times, spin around, or something else). Have them carry something from beginning to end to complete the course.
- Our string obstacle course for kids is always a favorite and really easy to do. Thread the string back and forth between a hallway of chairs. Clip items to the string and have your child remove the items as they crawl, or step through the course.
- If you have PVC pipes, this obstacle course is fun to set up in the backyard! Make tunnels to crawl under, hurdles to jump over and poles to weave through.
- The Golden Gleam put together a really simple color obstacle course for kids, complete with ‘swimming through a lake’. Love it!
- Set up a tape obstacle course and have your kids jumping, balancing and so much more! This is awesome from Adventures at Home with Mum.
- Animal Obstacle Course for kids from Lalymom. This is fun for little kids, and oh-so-simple to set up! Go hunt for some animals now!
- Have your kids collect objects as they slither through a spy obstacle course!
Bonus Obstacle Course for Crawlers! Young kids can get in on the action too, even if you have a crawler. Set up couch cushions and pillows to have them crawl over and under propped up cushions! See our crawler obstacle course.
I think I just pumped myself up to make one… these don’t look too hard after all. What about you?
Will you make an obstacle course for kids soon?