Homemade Fizzy Sidewalk Paint Recipe

This sidewalk paint recipe has come in handy a number of times. Its great for the kids to paint with, but its also easy for me to use when I’m setting up an activity and need something more prominent than just sidewalk chalk.

I made a variation of this sidewalk paint recipe without the fizzy part to do big maze with Henry outside.

With the fizzy part is where all the fun is for the kids though. You can find the fizzing sidewalk paint recipe recipe on Kids Activities Blog.

I made three colors of the paint recipe and added painting tools [a basting brush, sponges, as well as a 'spice' container].

Homemade Fizzy Sidewalk Paint Recipe

Using his green ‘paintbrush’ [the basting brush], Henry started to paint the driveway.

Homemade Fizzy Sidewalk Paint Recipe

At first, he let the paint drip and run off the paintbrush. [He liked to fill the holes in the driveway.]

After it thickened up, he had to paint with it as an actual paintbrush. It thickens up quite a bit, so make it thin to begin with and you may need to add water to it as you go.

Homemade Fizzy Sidewalk Paint Recipe

I drew outlines of shapes for Henry to color in with paint.

Henry already knows his shapes pretty well, but this is still great practice! [For us, it was more to learn to color within the lines.]

I also filled a a spice container [ours was actually a sprinkles container from the bakery, you could also just punch holes in the lid of any jar you have] with red paint. Henry shook the paint out.

Homemade Fizzy Sidewalk Paint Recipe
[Red probably wasn't the best color to choose for the shaker, it looked like a bloody mess!]

The paint lightened as it dried and made it really stand out against the blacktop. [Better than it would on a sidewalk, I think.]

Homemade Fizzy Sidewalk Paint Recipe

After we painted with our entire batch of homemade sidewalk paint, then the fizzy fun began. We filled a squirt bottle with vinegar and sprayed the drawings we made!

[Fizzy fun is always fun! Just plain baking soda and vinegar is a good time!]

Homemade Fizzy Sidewalk Paint Recipe

Its a fizzy good time!

spray-sidewalk-chalk-recipe-fizz

Henry spelled his name as he sprayed it with vinegar.
Y-R-N-E-H

Getting there….

fizzy-sidewalk-chalk-recipe

The squirt bottle was a huge hit.

Henry continued to play with it long after he was done with the paintings. He even cleaned his big backhoe with it. [Vinegar still in it.]

Homemade Fizzy Sidewalk Paint Recipe

I find its almost as easy to just make your own craft recipes most of the time. Especially when you’re in a pinch. But I did just find that you can buy sidewalk paint too! Crayola makes it, of course. Though, without the fizz, I bet some baking soda could be added to it to get the same effect!

Click the image below for our sidewalk paint recipe without the fizz.

preschooler maze activity

Henry is 3 years old.

This post contains affiliate links.

Join over 18,000 parents and teachers receiving our activities and tips via email!

Comments

1. Anonymous says

we use chalk paint to practice spelling words. Will have to try the vinegar – fun science!

Blessings,
    Zalyndia

2. Stacy@{share and remember} says

I added a new post about the cornstarch paint because it was even more colorful last time with the liquid watercolors. Love your idea to add the baking soda & vinegar spray bottles!

3. Little Wonders' Days says

This looks like fun! Does it come off the sidewalk fairly easily? We're planning on making the fizzy sidewalk chalk sometime this summer.

4. Play-based Classroom says

Excellent! I can NOT wait to try this with my kids! I wonder how well this will work on outdoor walls? :)~

5. RedTedArt says

Oooh nice to add the squirty bottle to the play. Bet that made it even more fun! Love it!

Thank you for linking to Kids Get Crafty.. much appreciated!
    Maggy

6. Sweet Peas and Bumblebees says

What a great idea…my kiddos would LOVE this!!!!

I would LOVE if you would link up this project to our {{What I Made Wednesday}} Linky Party!

Briana @ Sweet Peas & Bumblebees

7. Kate @ An Amazing Child says

Jamie this looks so very cool. I love the science twist. How did the paint wash off in the end? I like the shaker bottle too – J will love this. Now all we need is for it not to be freeeeeezing and we can go outside and paint :)

Thanks for sharing with us again – always great to have you :)

8. Art For Little Hands says

I already commented, but I am coming back to this today. It is really such a fun idea. Thanks for sharing at art 4 little hands. Hope you come back again tomorrow.

9. Kelli- Adventurez In ChildRearing says

I am wondering if I could use food coloring – in the driveway I think it'll wash off (eventually)! looks like great fun- coming from Outdoor Play! new blog friend-

10. http://livingatthewhiteheadszoo.blogspot.com/ says

Love it! Can't wait to do this, and I still want to paint the sliding glass door too. Just shared it on fb. Thanks for giving me so many fun ideas every week.

11. Rachel at Sun Scholars says

This is genius! Thanks for sharing at For the Kids Friday! I am featuring this post tonight. Make sure to stop by and grab your A++ button. Can't wait to see what you have to share this week! Always a pleasure having you over to play at Sun Scholars!

:) rachel at http://SunScholars.blogspot.com

12. Sweet Peas and Bumblebees says

Such an amazing idea! We loved it so much, we are featuring you tomorrow at another start of our What I Made Wednesday Linky Party! Come and grab a button and join the fun again this week!

Alisa @ Sweet Peas and Bumblebees
    sweetpeasandbb.blogspot.com

13. Brooke says

I really love this idea of making it fizzle! I wish I would have seen this before my sidewalk paint project nearly flopped! I'm going to have to try this!

-Brooke @ Let Kids Create