Homemade Wind Chimes the Kids Can Make!

Share:

These are some fun to make, homemade, upcycled wind chimes that the kids can make!

Homemade Wind Chimes the Kids Can Make!

Henry and I rummaged through our recycling bins to find some tin cans in various shapes and sizes, including some lids. Believe me, there’s a lot you can do with stuff from your recycling bin! Upcycle whatever you can for the kids to play and create with!

[I taped around the rims of the cans to prevent any cuts.]

Using his trusty green basting paintbrush, Henry painted the outside of the tin cans with washable tempera paint.

Wind chimes made from tin cans!

[We had added glitter to the paint, but when painting it on the can, it didn't show.]

Of course, we had to see the glitter, so Henry shook a lot some more on the tin cans when the paint was still wet.

Wind chimes made from tin cans!

[So glad we did this project outside!]

After the paint dried, we punched holes in the bottom of the tin cans.

Henry actually refused to use the real hammer and would only use his yellow toy one. He was determined to make the hole. [Luckily he let me take a few swings in between his so I could punch it through.]

Wind chimes made from tin cans!

I am quite impressed with Henry’s hand-eye coordination, he never once missed his target.

I strung a long piece of yarn through the holes and tied two washers onto the end of the string, inside the tin cans. One washer is used to hold the yarn in place, the other is placed at the end of the string to make a lovely clanking sound when it hits the tin can.

[You could also use nuts or rocks instead of washers, whatever is hard enough to make a noise when it hits the can.]

Henry tried threading the yarn [find more fine motor materials and activities] through the washer holes, but still continues to struggle with this. Yarn isn’t the best medium to practice threading with, it comes unraveled and isn’t stiff.

Fine motor practice

Once you’ve tied on your washers to the wind chimes, test out the noise it makes!

Henry noticed right away that different size washers make different noises. Different size tin cans make different noises, too!

Listening for sound in our homemade wind chimes

Hang up the tin cans so that they overlap each other. Let the wind do its thing and enjoy the wonderful clanking of your homemade wind chimes! [Or you can let your child do their thing too and listen to it all the time!]

Listening for sound in our homemade wind chimes

Henry and I have been reading about the wind in The Windy Day, by Anna Milbourne.

Wind is everywhere around us, you need it to fly a kite, or turn a windmill for energy, or for the seagulls to fly! And even if its not blowing near you, its blowing somewhere!

For lots of crafty weather ideas, visit Red Ted Art’s Weather Themed Crafts and Tutorials. The tin can windchime by Learn 2 Grow inspired our DIY windchimes!

What weather activities have you done to go with our homemade wind chimes?

Click the image for 26 tin can crafts, music and activities kids can do! The wind chime are one of them!

What to do with a Tin Can? 26 Tin Can Activities, Music & Crafts for Kids!

Henry was 3 years old.

This post contains affiliate links.

From our partners

Comments

1. Kelli- AdventurezInChildRearing says

Fun! I've been eyeballing our cans & such working on coming up with a good plan for them- my boys will certainly love this- we may incorporate some of our sea shells into the project!

2. Jackie H. says

That's so cute. My mom would love it if her grandsons would make her a bright windchime like that for her garden. I guess we'll have to get on it! woo hoo for free presents for Grandma ;)

3. Rebekah says

Beautiful wind chime! I definitely want to do this with our daughter.

Streamers are fun to play with on a windy day. Bring a roll of streamer paper along to the park to share, and you will become very popular with the kids. =)

4. KJ@letsgoflyakite says

I love this project. It is so special and I really love how you incorporated recycable materials. Found you via Craft Gossip.

5. Sondra says

Love the bright colors, great pictures! I have been saving some cans and containers and haven't been sure what we will do with them, now I know. Thanks for the children's book suggestion also.

6. Jenny says

LOVE this! My son would love making this! And his little sister would love making it make noise!

I found you through Made by Little Hands Monday.

7. D+B says

Love your blog! its so cute!! I am your newest follower!! Here is my blog also if you would like to follow me back. I am new to this, but I am excited to share my ideas on the love of food.. Also I will be giving away free stuff like my mineral make-up line. so take a look.. And watch out for it. :)
    -Brooke
    For-The-Luv-Of.blogspot.com

8. Aimee from Classified: Mom says

Love it! In fact so much I am going to feature it this week at The Sunday Showcase! SO go to Classified: Mom and grab your Feature Button! Make sure to stop back this Sunday to see your feature and link up again!

9. Michelle says

These turned out wonderful Jamie! And it's wonderful that he did the most of the work himself! :) Thanks for adding this post to High paw linky. See ya!

10. Kristin @ Preschool Universe says

These are so pretty…I can think of lots of family members who would LOVE receiving this as a gift! Putting this in my post on tin can crafts.

11. aalina says

What a fantastic idea. Thank you so much for the idea. It's not only recycling, and decorative, and crafty, and musical, and visual, and tactile, but also weather-related! Whew. What a great project. Thanks!

12. mama roses says

Gosh ! Do I need say anything at all. Loved the idea in every possible way. Doable, recycled, working tool, lots of learning and best of all…great option for all those yards are missing. I really liked the practical, washer, option.

13. Daily Craft says

Great project! I just wanted to let you know that we featured this project on our Facebook page with over 15,000 fans. We’d love it if you’d use our Featured Blogger button, available at: http://www.dailycraft.com/thank-you-for-crafting/. Our audience loved the project and we look forward to sharing more from you. Please let us know if you have any questions or projects you’d love us to feature! Thanks!

14. itstrott4u18 says

behalf of Henary art i suggested that each one have a hidden art but no one tries to disclose it.and also we should promote such type of art of kids.

15. Amanda says

Oh I am in love with how these turned out! My favorite part is that your little one did so much in this project.

I run Fun Family Crafts, a site similar in nature to Craftgawker and Spotlight, but different in that it's a library of craft tutorials geared only at kids. I would love it if you'd stop by and submit this to be featured! (I link to you, I don't post your tutorial on the site) Feel free to submit as many kid friendly craft tutorials as you like! http://funfamilycrafts.com/

16. Jeremy says

The best wind chimes are hand tuned by musical professionals. They come in several tunings ranges giving you a large variety of sounds. They also come in many different materials from chrome steel to bamboo. Even if you have a small balcony garden in a high rise apartment the variety of sizes means anyone can own their personalised wind chime set and listen to the natural sounds of the world.