To continue on our quest to reading, we’re continuing on reviewing (for Henry) and learning letters (for George) right now. They have to know them before reading, right?
Be sure to check out what Jillian of A Mom with a Lesson Plan is sharing about Reading Rewards today for our summer reading program!
The very first step is to recognize letters. But, I can even put this into three categories:
- Simply introducing letters to the child. Maybe telling them what one is here and there. But that’s it. Just having the letters available is the first step.
- Matching letters. Maybe they don’t know what the letter is yet, but they can see that they’re different and match up one letter to the same one in another place.
- Knowing their letters. I think this is the advanced step for recognizing letters and it comes in stages. I’ve noticed that my kids usually find a few letters that they recognize right off the bat, but the others come along later, sometimes much later.
The beginning of learning their letters…
For the beginning stages of learning letters, I’m focusing entirely on numbers 1 and 2 with George. Number 3 will come in time and we’ll get to that when we do. Right now… We’re making sure letters are available to him and we use them in many of our activities, whether we’re really learning them or not. They’re there. He often asks me what it is, and this is my time to share with him and teach him. Otherwise I don’t try to push the letters. Its just time to show him that there are letters and that each letter is different.
We’ve done this in several of our learning activities already, but we’ll be doing more all summer long. I’ve collected some of the activities we’ve done along with a few others I’ve found that I want to try out to help George learn his letters.
20 letter learning activities for kids just beginning to learn their letters.
The very beginning. Focusing on introducing letters and matching up letters.
- Squirt the Letter
- Letter Learning Mat Game
- Building with Letter Blocks
- Magic Letters
- Candy Letter Matching
- Alphabet Letter Maze
- Alphabet Ball
- Letters in Fizzy Sidewalk Paint
- String Scavenger Hunt with Letters
- Fish for Letters Submitted by Cassie Paige
- Alphabet Soup Playdough to Plato
- Letter Pounding I Can Teach My Child
- Letters Bean Bag Toss
- Learning Letters on the Go No Time for Flash Cards
- Alphabet Car Racing Toddler Approved
- Alphabet Bear Game Fantastic Fun & Learning
- Letter Delivery Growing Book by Book
- Letter Matching Race Inspiration Laboratories
- Letter Matching on Tape Tons of Fun!
- 50 more ways to Learn the ABCs
Learning letters, here we come!
Fill every week with activities using the planner.
Receive access to the free activity planner and keep the fun going! You'll also receive activities every week in your email. You can unsubscribe at any time.
- More information.
$36 ADD TO CART