Henry is just in the beginning stages of actually reading, so I’m just starting to be on the lookout for some really easy beginning reader books that he can start with.
The books I chose are very simple, easy beginning reader books that will help build Henry’s confidence in reading. Starting simple, with what he knows and adding just a little at a time to build his reading power!
These books are also all available in Amazon’s new Kindle Paperwhite that’s the perfect gift for kids because of Kindle FreeTime.
FreeTime is something new on the Kindle Paperwhite, which lets you create personalized profiles for your kids, and you can give them access to only titles from your collection of books that you want to.
Kids are then rewarded with achievement badges when they reach their reading goals. Parents can also track their kids’ reading with progress reports, showing you the total time they spent reading, number of words looked up [there's a dictionary built right in with just a click of a word], badges earned, and books read.
Here are 5 super easy beginning reader books that I’m super excited to hear Henry read to me on the Kindle Paperwhite and track his reading time using FreeTime.
- The Tap, Henry picked this one up and read it right off the bat! It was just hard enough that he had to sound out a few, but easy enough that he didn’t get discouraged.
- The Bears, I Can Read Easy Words Sight Words Books – these start with flash cards of the sight words that are in the book, along with the character names and then it gets into the story. A perfect refresher and confidence booster! What’s super handy with this series of books is that it gives you a visual scale of what reading level it is, so its easy to find the truly beginning reader books!
- Pink Pig, Miss Rhonda’s Readers Set One – I think this series is very comparable to Bob Books and a great place for beginning readers that are just starting out. Very simple, very easy to sound out the words and uses a lot of the beginner sight words.
- Funny Cat, An “I Love Reading” Level 1 Sight Word Reader – I think these books are just ever so slightly more advanced than the Miss Rhonda’s Readers because they use adjectives like colors and others that aren’t beginning sight words. But they are easy to sound out and great to push just that extra little bit.
- Dex the Dog Goes to the Zoo, and the entire Dex the Dog series. I’m actually saving this one for in like a month. Henry’s not quite there yet, but is so very close that I think it belongs on this list. There are some bigger words in it, but they can be figured out by the photos that are shown.
We’re just starting to work our way through these on the Kindle Paperwhite.
What are your favorite beginning reader books for kids just starting to read?
See what the Kindle Paperwhite is all about and put it on the kids’ Christmas list!
Tell me why the Amazon Kindle is on your holiday gift list for a chance to win a $100 Amazon Gift Card.
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older. Winner will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. You have 72 hours to get back to me, otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.
This sweepstakes runs from 12/3/13 – 12/22/13.
Be sure to visit the Amazon Kindle Paperwhite’s page on BlogHer.com where you can read other bloggers’ reviews and find more chances to win!
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by Kindle Paperwhite.