Gross motor activities for kids are so incredibly important in the development of their gross motor skills. From what I’ve read and heard from experts, kids should work on developing their gross motor skills before working on fine motor skills because they need to build up the big muscles first and then the little muscles have a much easier time.
Doing activities to work on gross motor skills also help out in another area. Burning off energy. Every kid has excess, right? That’s always what I’m looking for!
Henry has always been a child with lots and lots of energy.
He took his first steps at 8.5 months. He always runs instead of walks. He spins instead of stands. He climbs. Coloring bores him. Crafts spend too much time sitting. Henry simply likes to move.
I am learning to
deal with embrace the energy instead of trying to hinder it.
Here are 4 ways to move that help with gross motor skills & the endless amount of energy:
- Rolling (or kicking) Eggs and Ball Painting
- Tape Jumping Game
- 32 Scavenger Hunt Ideas for Kids to Go On
- Walk through a maze of numbers
There’s even more Gross Motor Activities that we’ve done since — so keep on browsing!
Get the Gross Motor Go-To List Printable!
Here are 26 more gross motor activities for kids to burn off energy!
- Get Rolling Moving Smart
- Paint with your Feet The Imagination Tree
- Drive with Hula Hoops Sharin’ with Sharron
- Tumble and Wrestle Sharin’ with Sharron
- Mop with your Socks Kids Activities Blog
- Play Musical Chairs (with cards) Kids Activities Blog
- Indoor Activity Course hands on : as we grow
- Obstacle Course Imagination Soup
- Pretend to be Animals Toddler Approved
- Puddle Jump The Adventures of Bear
- Have Target Practice hands on : as we grow
- Build a Rope Bridge Let the Children Play
- Jump Boards Kleas
- Play Ball Irresistible Ideas for Play Based Learning
- Hopscotch Creativity My Passion
- Create Big Bubbles Come Together Kids
- Fly a Kite Maya Made
- Run Down a Hill Go Explore Nature
- Just Get Outside I Can Teach My Child!
- Go for a Ride Steady Mom
- Climb at the Playground Can you Come Outside to Play?
- Hop and Pop Inspiration Sounds Creativity Abounds
- Jump on the Bed Really, Are You Serious?
- Dance! Squiggle Mum
- Go on a Nature Texture Hunt hands on : as we grow
- Exercise Cube Little Family Fun
How do your kids burn off all their energy?
For more inspiration: 40 more gross motor activities to get your kids moving, too!
7-Day Challenge to Do with Your 3 to 5 Year Old
Say YES! I will do activities with my 3 to 5 year old this week.
Enter your email here to get access to the 7-day challenge of activities for your 3 to 5 year old. You'll get 7 days of activities that are perfect to do with your preschooler and will spark your creativity and fun! You can unsubscribe at any time.
Do you browse Pinterest and pin activities......but find that you never actually do them with you kids?
I created these activity plans that are actually doable and a super quick way to be more present with my kids.
Get the complete resource of activities: Activity plans that are doable and a super quick way to be present with your kids. Click here for more information.